Election Day – Thursday 7 May
After months of campaigning, debate and discussion the general election is here.
Here is what you need to know:
1. Polling stations are open from 07.00 – 22.00
– Find your polling station here.
– You can ONLY vote in your allocated polling station.
2. Forgot to send your postal vote?
– Don’t worry you can hand it in at your local polling station.
– Do NOT post it now.
– If you have lost or spoilt your postal vote – go to your local polling station and they will sort this out.
2. Voting at the polling station – what happens
– Staff will ask for your name and address, then issue you with a ballot paper.
– You do not need your poll card with you when you vote.
– Take your ballot paper to the booth, follow the instructions and put it in the ballot box. Easy!
3. If you cannot get out to vote tomorrow
– If for an emergency, like you are sick, and cannot vote in person tomorrow you can apply for a proxy vote up to 17.00 tomorrow. More info here.
4. Deciding who to vote for
Compare your views to those of the parties and their policies:
see how much your vote is worth:
check what your current MP has done in Parliament:
With thanks to Kate McGranaghan.